Yet another reboot of the Superman story.
This one got great reviews on the interwebs, and the trailers were really good, so Spider Jerusalem and I hied us on down to our local emporium du movies last night to see it on the REALLY BIG screen.
I’m going to say a bunch of stuff about it, and I guess some of it could be considered to be SPOILERS. I don’t think I’m giving away anything that makes any difference to a person’s reaction to this movie, but just in case, to keep you all from yelling at me…there may be some
Now, I have to confess, I’m not much of a Superman fan. This was pretty well written, and well made, and the special effects were indeed awesome… but I had serious problems with it:
- They have tried, in many ways, to make him more appealing/accessible to more people, but basically, no matter how much Kryptonite you make up and throw at him, he can do anything and can’t be hurt. So where’s the drama? why should we care about him? this movie was no exception. And the way they tried to give us some suspense about whether he’s going to live or die, and whether or not he will actually overcome the bad guys (guess what happens in both instances? right.) is that being a Krypton native raised in Earth’s atmosphere gives him his powers, so being put in Krypton’s atmo takes them away. For both him and the bad guys, who are, of course, from Krypton. Not buying it.
- Their world is blowing apart yet they spend the time and resources to send the bad guys away, only to have their prison break down three days later, in which three days there’s time to send little Kal-El off to his new world, and people can do a whole bunch of stuff, then suddenly the world goes blooey? if the core were actually exploding, there’d be no life on the surface for a LONG time before it went blooey.
- Two invulnerable guys battling each other and destroying the city around them. Cool special effects. Spent WAY too long on the same thing over and over: one of them hits/attacks the other, the other or both of them go careening into buildings, buildings fall down, general consternation from all the stupid people watching this who are not RUNNING AWAY. Why didn’t Superman grab the bad guy and go fight in, oh, say, Antarctica where there are NO PEOPLE OR BUILDINGS? Or outer space, for that matter.
- People were way too prone to simply jam his flash drive in any convenient opening without knowing what was on it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
- How exactly did he shave?
- But mostly…like many other extremely good looking guys who play this role, the new one (whose name I have not even bothered to look up) is pretty but has no personality. He can grin ruefully, or screw his face up in a semblance of sadness, but there is no genuine emotion there. And if he isn’t feeling it, neither am I. Christopher Reeve still wins on this score.
So yes. Pretty, not bad writing, lots of explodo. But overall? hasn’t won me over to the DC Way.
Oh, and I am SO PISSED OFF. After a personal vow NEVER to see another Kevin Costner movie on the big screen, a vow I have kept since the awfulness that was Waterworld in 1995…I inadvertantly broke it, he plays Clark Kent’s father. Spider Jerusalem says it doesn’t count, since it wasn’t a ‘Kevin Costner’ movie… but I feel soiled.